Saturday, December 1, 2012

Assembled Eliseo W52 & Search for Accuracy

I am 70 and so I reserve December for me and my bucket list; thus I am at my range (130 yds) and workshop close to Remlap, Alabama, my home. Each day I sit on the porch, drink my coffee and watch the Michigan imported deer wonder through and browse on the acorns from the 100 year old oaks. From this same chair I occassionally call coyotes, although rarely answered. I thank GOD each day he allows me this pleasure. This week is clear cool weather and the "system" is assembled. Some of the earlier posts expressed the opinion the assembled system would respond to the search for accuracy differently from the test frame designed and constructed earlier in the year. To recap, this frame was used to assist ammo selection so critical for a 22 RF. The final results analyzed using a computer program which analyzed scanned target(s) data to a high resolution and made statistical projections. Thw W52 seen in the photo has a standard OEM chamber, termed "the Winchester chamber".
    The Win 52 shown above is to be fitted with metallic sights in the final configeration, but for conventional testing a 10X scope has been fitted. This scope is about 25 yrs old and has turret knobs, expensive at the time and as I remember about $400. The rings are Burris and the ring base is custom made and not finished. Burris rings are the low profile; however, for this application medium are on order. The turner is my own design and the affect is not fully resolved. There will be a front sight "bloop" tube also to mount the front sight. Somehow it must be combined with the tuner (not yet designed). You can see the stuff that must be assembled (I need a UPS for the logistics) for shooting and is not lightly promulgated.

The Winchester 52 Tube Stock Presumption-Postulus
  Now a brief word on the tube configuration. Nothing is so strongly believed as that which is least understood. Now that was me. The entire premise for this project was that the tube configuration would modify the boundary conditions (add stiffness) to the wooden stock W52 assembly and result in enhanced accuracy. From my reading, the vibrations induced by the propellant occur during projectile travel and the harmonic vibrations occur afterwards, like a plicked guitar string. The guitar string is deformed and the released for its harmonics. Same with the 22 barrel. The initial forces are resisted by the innate strength of the system; whereas, the later motions ( think of living in LA) are aftershocks and depend upon mass and strength.

The trigger mechanism location severely complicates the fitment. Especially if the builder is limited in experience with the lathe and mill. Further, my failure to completely "model" the system cost many manhours due to unforseen conflicts. My final assessment is a U shaped configuration would reduce the effort considerably and yet allow my postulus that a "clamped" action would respond favorably. Prior posts show this section, Figure XX, http://winchester52.blogspot.com/2012/09/eliseo-winchester-52-testing.html . My assumption is based upon many years in private practice as an engineer-surveyor, whether the result is measureable is yet to be proven.


NOW THE TESTING FROM SANDBAGS

work-in-progress

No comments:

Post a Comment