Monday, January 9, 2017

THIS IS WHY JET LATHE HALF NUT HOUSINGS FAIL

AFTER MORE THAN 4 YEARS

Well, after more than 4 years after delivery and many aborted start - stops, I have determined why the half nut housings fail on JET lathes. Firstly, there is essentially no Q/C. Secondly the half nut leade screw housings do not fit the apron.



typical replacement, I purchased 4":

The problem is the half nuts have to fit the apron cam:

If they do not only one of the bronze nuts will engage, if none.

The apron cam has to fit the leade screw location. So I manually attempted to measure the offset without a jig and my measurements did not repeat themselves to my satisfaction. Finally I constructed a measurement jig.

so above is the JIG, and below it is installed in the apron. The apron was then installed on lathe.

The slot is cut such that I can determine the actual position of the cam lobes. Once this was mounted on lathe, guage blocks and feeler gages gave a high degree of confidence. The gage dimensions were all "square" within +0.001 and -0.001 offset measurements were  greatly simplified.

these are just a few:



from this you can see the simplification of the measurements.

this is where I am to date.

have I received support from JET; yes, however worthless.
Would I purchase another lathe from JET. No. This scenario began in 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment